Thursday, December 15, 2011

Need to get information on Brownie and Junior Girl Scouting?

I am a new Girl Scout leader and I have a group (not just one level). This is the first Girl Scout troop in this town EVER. We are in the middle of our cookie sales but we still don't have the funds...at least not until March. The community I live in is poor to say the least, so I can't and won't ask for dues (some can't afford the $10 registration fee). SO I am trying to find all the information I can before having to turn to the council and beg them for assistance to start up the troop library of leader books, badge books, hand books, etc.





Does anyone know of a site or have information about all the different awards, badges, try-its (brownies)....Thanks for all the help!!!|||I just started working for a council, and have been a long time girl/leader.





I'm not sure if surrounding councils can help with funding you since they're beyond their juristiction, but I know most have some assistance for those with financial need for registration.





In addition to the resources listed by the previous poster, check with your local library. Most have the hand book and you could possibly borrow and copy some of the most helpful pages. Also, I know that our council (which is 28th largest in the USA) has a "resource library" at the headquarters for leaders to check out handbooks and other resources.





As important as badges and awards are, be creative in your thoughts for activities. It's not nessicary that EVERY girl have a book - you can provide those resources for them! A few ideas are checking with local bussinesses to see if they do tours of their facilities. I remember my girls LOVED touring taco bell and a sony factory. Very free and give them a great time. Another thought is to have community representatives speak with the girls. Hospitals, libraries and police/fire officers are great resources for your meetings. Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment